Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fridays with Friends...Allison Merrit!



Pull up a chair; pour yourself a beverage of your choice. Make yourself comfortable to chat with my guest.Today I have with me my friend, Allison Merrit, author of Treasure Hunter’s Lady and Sky Pirate’s Wife. I’m lucky to call Allison not only my friend, but one of my CPs.

Welcome, Allie.
Hi, D'Ann, thanks for having me today!




1.   What part of your book took you most out of your comfort zone?

Hands down, it's writing sex scenes. You know, I'm 19 plus a few years, but I still giggle when I write the sex scenes. It always takes me longer to write one than any other scene in the book.

2.   What was the easiest part to write?

There's a scene in The Sky Pirate's Wife a couple of chapters after Sophie and Van Buren get married. They're standing on the deck of his airship about to leave the docks and he decides to teach Sophie how to fly. It's one of my favorite scenes because it's very intimate.

3.   How many books have you written?

Technically four, but I chopped the end off the first one and never went back to it. And two 30,000 word novellas, do those count? 

4.   How many books have you sold? Titles?

I just released The Treasure Hunter's Lady in February as my debut novel. I haven't really looked to see how many it's selling as much as I watch the rank on Amazon and smile when a remittance notification comes into my inbox at the end of every month.

5.   What drew you to your sub-genre?
 

My current favorite sub-genre is steampunk with a hint of paranormal. Or you could probably label it as historical fantasy. I got itnerested in steampunk after re-watching The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Other movies like Van Helsing and Treasure Planet had an impact on me too.

6.   Do you write more than one sub-genre?

I've written historical romances and a western story or two. I dabbled at contemporary, but it's not my strong point, although I'd like it to be. I've also done paranormal historical romance, which was a lot of fun.

7.   Have you ever started a book, and lost interest?

Unfortunately, yes. I have two that are mostly finished, but I have no desire to work on either one of them. They're both historical romances. I think the characters from one of them are beyond redemption.

8.   Do you find writing the hero or heroine easier?

Depends on the book. In The Treasure Hunter's Lady writing Abel was easier than Romy, but in The Sky Pirate's Wife, Sophie was easier than Van Buren.

9.   Has a secondary character ever threatened to take over your book? Have you had to give them their own book?

They haven't really threatened to take it over, but sometimes they're adamant about having a book. Van Buren was a secondary character in The Treasure Hunter's Lady and he's the hero of The Sky Pirate's Wife. The book following The Sky Pirate's Wife is called The Turncoat's Temptress and the hero of it is one of the minor characters from The Sky Pirate's Wife.

10. What is your next project?

I have the rough draft of The Turncoat's Temptress finished. I want to up the word count a little bit and then start editing on it after The Sky Pirate's Wife comes out September 17th. And I'm almost 20000 words into the fourth novel in my series.

14 comments:

  1. Love your titles, Allison! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me today, D'Ann! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the interview ladies....D'Ann...wonderful questions and Allison...great answers.

    I have The Treasure Hunter's lady on my nook and can't wait to grab some time to read it...I have so many books on there I'm going crazy. lol I read one and add 4 more!

    Congrats on your releases!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I know how you feel, I do the same thing.

      Delete
  4. Loved the interview, Ladies, and the book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny, Allison I'm old enough to be your Mama and the reason I don't write sex scenes is because they make me laugh. I just can't take myself seriously when I write them. So now it's a closed door all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just seem so over the top sometimes! I do plenty of closed door too.

      Delete
  6. Great interview ladies.... The book sounds awesome. Good luck, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always so much fun to learn more about my friends! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you, Allison!
    Sorry I'm late D'Ann.
    But I must say that, Treasure Hunter piqued my interest- a lot. Have it on the list.
    Wishing you all the best,
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I'm so late. What a wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I'm so late! Loved the interview, ladies! Definitely gonna read Treasure Hunter! Nice learning more about you, Allison :)

    ReplyDelete