Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fridays with Friends...Christine Warner

Pull up a chair; pour yourself a beverage of your choice. Make yourself comfortable to chat with my guest. Today I have with me my friend, Christine Warner, author of Two-Timing the Boss and Some Like it in Handcuffs.
Welcome, Christine.
1.     What part of your book took you most out of your comfort zone?
The heroine in Two-Timing the Boss is a twin. At first I thought I’d have a hard time writing a story line that had a sub-plot which dealt with twin sisters, but the more I got into the story, the more I realized I was just writing about sisters, who happened to be born the same day and year. I basically drew upon a lot of my relationship with my sister. The banter and teasing and closeness.  Otherwise there wasn’t much else in the story that took me out of my comfort level since the characters had professions and were in surroundings I was familiar with.  Now, my first book took me out of my comfort level on several counts, but that’s for another interview!  lol
2.      What was the easiest part to write?
Normally I find dialogue easy to write. I try and write it like I’d speak, or how I imagine my character would speak J
3.     How many books have you written?
Hmmm, I’ve written a total of 4 books.  I wish I could write faster because I have a ton of story ideas and characters running around in my head.
4.     How many books have you sold? Titles?
So far I’ve sold 2…both to The Wild Rose Press. I have a third under contract with Entangled Publishing and I have another story out on submission.  The 2 books I’ve sold are Some Like it in Handcuffs—a light-hearted romantic suspense with humor.  And then of course Two-Timing the Boss which is a sexy, contemporary romance. As for the book contracted with Entangled Publishing I don’t have a go ahead on the title yet, so I can’t really tell you J
5.     What drew you to your sub-genre?
I’ve always read contemporary romance and enjoy it. I’ve since discovered I like to spread out a little and read other genres, but I think I’ll always write contemporary.
6.     Do you write more than one sub-genre?
At the moment just contemporary and romantic suspense…but the romantic suspense was very light on the suspense.  lol
7.     Have you ever started a book, and lost interest?
Ugh, unfortunately I have a book that I started about a year ago and I work on it for a little bit then put it away for months, then pull it back out and try again. I love the characters, but for some reason I haven’t been able to finish.
8.     Do you find writing the hero or heroine easier?
This might sound weird, but it depends on my mood. I’d say generally I can write in the female POV easier, but there are times when I just can’t seem to get it right and the male POV will flow from my fingertips and can’t be stopped. So, I just go with my mood.
9.     Has a secondary character ever threatened to take over your book? Have you had to give them their own book?
 
When I wrote Some Like it in Handcuffs the heroine Sunny Kennedy had four brothers and they were all pretty intense and Alpha. There were times one of her brothers in particular seemed to overtake a chapter. And I do have books planned for them…so hopefully they will get their own story.
As for when I was writing Two-Timing the Boss, the heroine Farah has a twin sister named Karah and there were several scenes where her robust personality overshadowed the more quiet Farah. I had such a good time writing Karah and I just loved her outspoken nature and humor it was hard not to let her keep going.  I have been asked already if I’ll be sharing her story, but I don’t have any plans to at this time.
10.  What is your next project?
I’m actually working on another contemporary romance that I’m keeping under wraps…and that’s mainly because I keep changing so many things I don’t dare commit to telling you the setting or the characters professions yet because tomorrow they might be different!  Lol
 
BLURB FOR TWO-TIMING THE BOSS:
To secure the funds for her twin sister's surgery, Farah Smith will need to sacrifice her values as well as alter her appearance to work for a man she finds morally bankrupt. With a blonde wig and stilettos strapped on, Farah’s a clone of Keller Donovan’s harem of past assistants, insuring a position within his company.

The moment Farah and Keller meet, she realizes her most daunting task isn’t the job, but fighting an attraction to a man whose ruthlessness is as legendary in the bedroom as it is in the boardroom.

Disillusioned by his parent’s disastrous marriage, Keller Donovan is determined no relationship should have more than a six-month shelf life. But after he meets Farah Smith, all bets are off. Suddenly he wants more than a personal assistant and private bed warmer. Unfortunately, his offer of an affair doesn’t sit well with her, despite the stranglehold she's put on his heart.

Can Farah and Keller find happiness and love over deceit and libido? Will the two embrace each other or hold fast to past history?
EXCERPT:
These damn shoes would be the death of her.  She could read the headlines now:  Penniless P.A. Falls to her Death while on Job Interview.
Almost to her destination, with no more mishaps, her confidence surfaced.  Okay, maybe mastering this heel thing wouldn’t be such a big deal.  Her steps became light, almost bouncy.  Although she sensed Keller Donovan behind her, she didn’t let it deter her feeling of success.  She stepped onto the large black and red area rug, less than ten feet from her target.  The leather chairs.
“Oh!”  Farah’s spiky heel caught on the edge of the expensive rug.  Her legs shook and she shot her arms out from her sides, circling them like a bird about to take flight.  She fought to regain balance inside the ridiculous stilts strapped to her feet.  A brawl to the death.  Over when she looked down to see the rug coming up to kiss her face.  She threw out her hands, sucked in a breath and closed her eyes, scrunching her face as she prepared for impact.
But nothing happened.  There were stars all right, and a blazing jolt of electricity shot from her toes, up her legs, through her body and exited with the small gasp which escaped her lips.  Somehow Keller Donovan had grabbed her around the waist before she met the floor. 
Heat burned her cheeks.  He may have saved her body from bruises, but her ego, and whatever confidence she’d walked in with had shattered.
“Let’s not have an accident before your health benefits kick in.”  His breath
tickled her ear from behind.  Chills hugged her backbone.
His touch released an unsettling flutter in her abdomen.  She sucked in her stomach from the pressure of his strong arms wrapped around her middle, afraid to breathe. 
Two-Timing the Boss and my other book Some Like it in Handcuffs are both available in print and digital format at:
 
Author Bio:
Christine Warner is living her dream in rural Michigan along with her husband, three children, one laptop and a much loved assortment of furry friends. 
Besides laughing and a good round of humor, she enjoys spending time with her family, cooking, reading, writing but no arithmitic.  A confessed people watcher, she finds inspiration for her stories in everyday activities.  She loves to read and write about strong heroes and determined, sometimes sassy, heroines.
A girl gone wild, at least where social media is concerned, she enjoys meeting other avid readers and writers on facebook, twitter and her website at christine-warner.com.
 
And you can find me at:
My blog/website:  http://christine-warner.com/
Twitter under ChristinesWords: https://twitter.com/#!/ChristinesWords
My Facebook page…stop by and give it a LIKE to stay informed of what I have in the works: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christine-Warner/143430882396013
Goodreads:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5763713.Christine_Warner
I love to hear from readers and other authors J   
 
 
 


29 comments:

  1. Hi, Christine. I love your excerpt--it had me with the first sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz....I love to hear that :) Glad you came by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the interview, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something new again! Love it and enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that fun? Just when you think you know me...you don't! lmbo

      Thanks for stopping in Calisa!

      Delete
  5. Wow, every time I see this book, I want to read it more and more. I did not know about Some Like it in Handcuffs. That looks very interesting too! They both look amazing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa....so glad you found out about Some Like it in Handcuffs too :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your books, Christine! Two timing the Boss sounds like a fun read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi...I hope if you get the chance to read it you enjoy it! I really did have a great time writing it.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your interview and excerpt, Christine! And all the best in sales for your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! So glad you enjoyed the interview/excerpt :)

      Delete
  8. Great interview! I would have no idea how to write sisters. I only have a brother who is way younger than me. I've always wanted a sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a brother and a sister so I have a few experiences to draw back on. I knew they'd come in handy for something! lol

      Thanks for stopping in Sharon.

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to start 'Two Timing the Boss'. I'm an identical twin. We're closer than the rest of our sibs, (3 more sisters and 2 brothers), but I think that's more to do with being closer in age.
    I LOVED 'Some Like it in Handcuffs' and will buy the brother's books as soon as they go up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra you're making the sunshine today a little brighter by your compliments! So glad you enjoyed Some Like it in Handcuffs and hope you enjoy Two-Timing the Boss as well. Now that I know you're a twin I hope you'll share with me if I got it right!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the interview! The book excerpt really had me spellbound. I want to know what happens with the twins and the boss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...glad you enjoyed the interview...D'Ann is a wonderful hostess and I loved her questions.

      Delete
  11. I think we all wish we could write faster. Please let me know if you find the secret! Both of your books are fabulous and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally...I appreciate your support and love that you enjoyed the books!

      Delete
  12. Great interview, ladies! Both of your books look fantastic, Christine. They're both on my TBR list. And yes, I wish I could write faster as well! Or figure out how to get more hours in the day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, either would work for sure...if we ever have the luxury of writing faster and more hours in a day it'd be fun to switch it up and take turns! lol

      Thanks so much for coming by Jenna: )

      Delete
  13. Hey Christine, Great interview, great book. What else can I say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are a lady of few words....lol

      Thanks Callie!!!

      Delete
  14. Great interview ladies! I learned more about Christine today. I need to figure out how to not be distracted so I can write more and faster :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then call me and share! lol

      Thanks Sheri xoxox

      Delete
  15. Fantastic interview, ladies. I love that I'm not the only one who writes strong secondary characters who want to take over the story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to have the secret of writing faster, and not wasting time...that is still managing to have a life over and above our writing! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete