Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fridays With Friends...Sheri Fredericks

 
Pull up a chair; pour yourself a beverage of your choice.  Make yourself comfortable to chat with my guest. Today I have with me my friend, Sheri Fredricks, author of Remedy Maker. I’m lucky to call Sheri not only my friend, but one of my CPs.

Welcome, Sheri.

Hi D’Ann, thank you so much for inviting me over!

1.     What part of your book took you most out of your comfort zone?

 
Ahh, that would be writing Rhycious when he had his awful moments of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The emotional strain and levels of stress he experienced flowed through me and onto the page. Every time I wrote one of those scenes, I came away drained.

 

2.      What was the easiest part to write?

 

For some reason, scenes taking place within the palace came easily to me. In my mind’s eye, I saw the scene so clearly; every rock that made up the floor to the paintings decorating the walls. It’s easy to write when you have clarity like that.

 

3.     How many books have you written?

 

I’ve written five, Remedy Maker was book number four.

 

4.     How many books have you sold? Titles?

 

Two stories made publication: Remedy Maker and Portals of Oz. Unfortunately the epublisher I signed with closed their doors unexpectedly and now only Remedy Maker is available. Very soon, Portals of Oz will be back on Amazon’s virtual shelf!

 

5.     What drew you to your sub-genre?

 

A really good gin and tonic. That’s the only explanation I can give.

 

6.     Do you write more than one sub-genre?

 

Book number two, Her Future Past, is a time-travel western. No mythological creatures in that one.

 

7.     Have you ever started a book, and lost interest?

Yes I’ve started a book and didn’t finish, but not because I wasn’t interested. I started a story for a Halloween anthology for the publisher. They closed their doors before I finished.

 

8.     Do you find writing the hero or heroine easier?

 

As bizarre as this may be, I find writing in the heroine’s POV more difficult for some reason. As a woman, I should think this would come easily to me. After all, I know firsthand how women think. However, my muse has snapped off its stream of creativity more than once while writing my heroine’s scenes.

 

9.     Has a secondary character ever threatened to take over your book? Have you had to give them their own book?

 

LOL! Enter the next book in the Centaur Series. I made sure this minor character took a backseat in Remedy Maker, but he complained the whole time. Same thing happened in Her Future Past. My secondary characters have a story to tell, and if I only had two more pair of hands…

 

10.  What is your next project?

 

I’m working on Troll-y Yours (working title), the second book in the Centaur series. HOT Aleksander, who demanded his story told, is steaming up my computer screen with a sexy disagreeable Troll. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you’d better ready Remedy Maker!

 

Thank you for having me here, D’Ann. I’m afraid I slugged down all of your sweet tea…sorry about that!
Hey, I can always make more! Thanks for dropping by!


31 comments:

  1. That must have been a really good gin and tonic! Good interview, and I love your picture, Sheri. It's really too bad when publishers drop like stones and leave their writers just hanging there. Happens more and more often, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From out of the closed door ashes, I came out on top. In hindsight, it was the best thing that happened to me. I think I had a gin & tonic before the pic was taken, too.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love a good time-travel! Can't wait for that one. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I'd like to see that one published too.

      Delete
  3. Fun interview ladies! I found it humorous that you can write male POV easier Sheri....I go in spurts and there are times I find it easier too...which is odd since we're women.

    Good luck with Remedy Maker...and I love the title Troll-y yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps living in a mostly male house has something to do with it. My little dog and I are the only females here... Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Sheri and D'Ann! I'm skeerd to think what a really good gin and tonic might do to my books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME interview!! Looking frwd to your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to meet you, Sheri. Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paty, it's nice to meet you too. Lovely horse in your profile pic. I have a few of them myself.

      Delete
  7. Great interview, Sheri. Congratulations on your books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, ladies! Sheri, you have inspired me. I'm going to have to start drinking more when I write! I prefer Bailey's to gin & tonic--do you think that will make a difference? LOL I'm interested in that time travel too! You've got to get a move on with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The only way to find out if Bailey's works is to experiment. I wonder if different liquors stimulate differnt muses in our heads. Hmm....

      Delete
  9. Gee, I wish I drank! Great interview it sounded like you two were sitting together chatting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Daryl...I can get jacked up on iced tea, too. And one day I WILL have a beer with D'Ann!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Sherri, great interview! I seem to find writing in the hero's pov easier too. Havent' figured out why yet. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawn - Penis envy has NOTHING to do with it. Maybe we just like making the hero do it our way. LOL Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I know Aleksander. I'm waiting on his book. :D I also find it easier to write the hero's pov as well. Perhaps it's because I curse and am emotionally detached from just about everyone in the world. Ha! Oddly enough, I love the romance genre, go figure. Is it also sad to admit I prefer the villain's pov a lot of times too. Lol. So glad you are working on Aleksander's book. I loved Remedy Maker and can't wait for the next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You curse? You're detached? Ahhh! A girl after my own heart! LOL Come sit next to me and let's talk about villains!
      Thanks Melissa...

      Delete
  12. I made it! Friday isn't over yet!
    Congrats and telling a story in a man's POV for me is easier too! Why I don't know.
    The interview rocked, ladies!
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, I tend to find writing the hero's POV easier also. Maybe because I grew up surrounded by brothers. And for those who haven't read Remedy Maker, I think you'll like it. I did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for the plug, Karen! I wonder if there is any man who finds writing in the female POV easier...you think?

      Delete
  14. Sorry I'm late! Fabulous interview, ladies! Cheers, Sheri!! Can't wait to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jennifer! You're never late. Hope you like the books when you find a chance in your busy schedule to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you to D'Ann for inviting me on her blog. I appreciate your hospitality and friendship!

    ReplyDelete