Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fridays with Friends...Cera duBois


Fridays with Friends.
Pull up a chair; pour yourself a beverage of your choice.  Make yourself comfortable to chat with my guest. Today I have with me my friend, Cera duBois, author of A Hunter’s Angel and A Hunter's Blade.
Welcome,  Cera.
Thank you so much for inviting me on your blog, D’Ann. What an amazing year we both have had? 2012 was definitely good to us. Congratulations again on all of your success. You are an inspiration to me.
 
Thanks! Back attcha! Let’s get started.
1.     What part of your book took you most out of your comfort zone?
 
Since A Hunter’s Angel was my first attempt at writing anything in the contemporary romance genre, I’d have to say the thing that was hardest for me was writing law enforcement characters. I had to do a ton of research on the FBI and asked a few of my cop friends about things I didn’t have a clue about. I still took a lot of liberties, but I think I got things close enough to the way they really considering my special agent-in-charge is a vampire... LOL
 
 
2.      What was the easiest part to write?
 
The easiest was writing Ian’s character. He just wrote himself. No other way to state it.
 
 
3.     How many books have you written?
Since I started writing with the hope of publication in the summer of 2008, I’ve completed 5 books and have one about half finished. But before 2008, I wrote Star Wars fan fiction for about four years for fun and completed something like 35 short stories and 7 novels.
 
4.     How many books have you sold? Titles?
 
To date, I’ve sold 4 books—Under my pen name of Cera duBois: A Hunter’s Angel (The Wild Rose Press, available now), A Hunter’s Blade (The Wild Rose Press, available now on Amazon). Under my real name of Sara Walter Ellwood: Gambling On A Secret (Lyrical Press, January 7, 2013), and Heartstrings (Lyrical Press, May 2013). I just submitted book 2 of my Colton Gamblers’ series to my editor at Lyrical, titled Gambling On A Heart.  If that book sells, I’ve sold every book I’ve written.
 
Of course, I owe a lot of that success to your awesome critiques... *grin*
 
5.     What drew you to your sub-genre?
 
Well, since I write in two genres, I’ll answer for both.
 
Concerning the paranormal genre, it’s the vampires. I’ve always been a fascinated by them.
 
As for the contemporary Western genre, I’d say it’s my fascination with the West. Growing up, I loved old Westerns. And although not a Western, I loved the show Dallas. I think this is what has spurred my fixation on Texas...LOL  But mostly, I love cowboys.
 
 
6.     Do you write more than one sub-genre?
LOL... I think I answered this question above. Yes. Paranormal romantic suspense under the pen name Cera duBois, and contemporary Westerns under my real name, Sara Walter Ellwood.
 
7.     Have you ever started a book, and lost interest?
Oh, more times than I can count over the time period of about 15 years. I actually wrote my first book in high school. A Civil War romance. And it was then I knew I wanted to be a writer. I must have tried about four times to rewrite that book. The first 2 times was on an old typewriter. The last time was on our first computer in 1994. At the time, I was substitute teaching and working almost full time as a waitress. I simply didn’t have time to write. After a few years, I started another historical—handwriting it in a notebook. I got to where I needed to do some major research, before we had internet. I never did make that trip to the library. This scenario was repeated about six or seven times, until I started writing fan fiction in 2005.
Now I know what kept me from finishing those other books. I didn’t believe enough in myself as a writer. The smartest thing I ever did was start writing fan fiction. I got the confidence and the support of other fan writers to finish a book and that’s all it took.
Since I seriously started pursuing publication, I have one book I haven’t finished. But I intend to—I’m planning on sending it to either Entangled or try Harlequin again, unless I turn it into a single title and then I’m going to try the other Big Boys.
8.     Do you find writing the hero or heroine easier?
 
Oh, that’s an easy question. The hero. I find men easier to write...period. I think this is because for years I read mostly male authors—John Jakes, James Michener, Bruce Catton (Civil War historian that I read a lot of), not to mention most of the authors of the Star Wars books are male science fiction authors.
 
 
9.     Has a secondary character ever threatened to take over your book? Have you had to give them their own book?
All the darned time!  Brad and Ben almost take over A Hunter’s Angel. In A Hunter’s Blade, it’s Bo. In Gambling On A Secret, it’s a tie between Leon and Zack. In Zack’s story Gambling On A Heart, it’s a tie between Wyatt and Logan. The list goes on and on... Why do you think I have so many series going?  LOL
 
10.  What is your next project?
 
Right now, I’m working on the third books for both of my series. For The Hunter’s Daggers: A Hunter’s Wings. For The Colton Gamblers: Gambling On A Dream. I’m hoping to have both books finished and submitted to my editors by the end of summer.
 
 
Blurb for A Hunter’s Angel:
The serial killer stalking Clayton, Pennsylvania, isn’t all that has Chief of Police Grace Wallace worried. For a year, she’s tried to forget Special Agent Ian McHenry and now he’s the expert the FBI sent to catch the killer. She can’t stay away from him, but something primal is telling her to run to save much more than just her heart. Despite the strict code of ethics Ian vowed to follow as a vampire hunter, he craves Grace’s blood above all others. If he chooses to stay, Ian risks losing his chance at divine forgiveness. But if he leaves Grace unprotected from the evil he’s hunted for over a century, he loses more than just his soul…
 

Excerpt:
“I’m in love with the man inside the vampire.” Grace moved her hand to thread through his silky hair. When she rested the other over his heart, a soft sigh escaped his lips. Underneath her palm, the slow beat was barely noticeable.
 
His thumb grazed her cheekbone and slowly trailed down to the hollow of her throat. Her breathing quickened at the zinging anticipation as he caressed the pulse point where he’d claimed to have taken blood from her. He glanced at the spot with eyes as haunted as he sounded. “I’m not a man.”
 
“But you were once.”
 
He met her gaze again. “Yes, once.”
 
His fingers lingered over her pulse. Her heart raced under his touch. She tilted her neck as if his touch awakened some base instinct to offer the sacrifice. “Do you still want my blood?”
 
Ian stepped away and locked his wide-eyed gaze onto hers. At last, he rasped, “No, I don’t want your blood. Oh, God, I still crave it. You have the sweetest I’ve ever had, but I will never hurt you again.”
 
She didn’t know what possessed her to do so, but she whispered, “You can take...some of it.”
 
He closed his eyes, and when he opened them, he acidly said, “No, Grace. I can never taste your blood again. It would kill you.”
 
Fear of what she’d wanted him to do tumbled through her. She stepped away, and for a moment, she considered telling him to leave. How did she know any of this was real? She couldn’t imagine she’d ever freely offer a vampire her blood. Did she really believe him? He was sucking her into his insanity. But if this was true and he could make people do things against their will, maybe he could control her feelings.
 
“Maybe I should go?” Ian backed away another step and headed toward the counter where he’d left his dagger. He turned back to her with the sheath in his hand. Her heart shattered with the knowledge that, if he walked out the front door, she’d never see him again. “Goodbye, my sweet angel.”
 
His jagged murmur ripped at her soul as his eyes took on a blazing intensity and snared hers. She felt a pressure in her mind, and she knew what he intended to do. He wanted to erase her memories of him.

No!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Blurb for A Hunter’s Blade:
Brigit Wolfe, a born werewolf, hasn’t killed a human in over a hundred years, although now, she wonders if the animal attacking people in Silver Creek, Colorado, isn’t her. But she might have bigger problems when her cowboy neighbor, Austin Calhoun, ambles into her bar. Austin hasn’t been a vampire for long, but he is determined to prove to himself that he’s worthy of his hunter’s dagger. Brigit’s rare beauty and blade-sharp tongue enchants him. She ignites a passion he thought was dead, but is she the killer his master sent him to destroy? During Austin’s investigation regarding Brigit’s involvement in the deaths, an old crime surfaces connected to her human best friend. These two immortal enemies have to join forces to solve the mystery before someone else dies. But can they survive the heat of their own desire?
 
Excerpt:
“Why don’t you enlighten me?”
 
Brigit glowered at Austin for several moments. Then she closed her eyes and spoke in a language he didn’t understand. Before he knew it, a fire sparked to life in the old stone hearth across the room. A second later, he flew out of his chair and shoved hard against the edge of the bar behind him.
 
He struggled against the invisible restrains, but she’d taken him completely off guard. He was powerless to break free.
 
Standing, she kicked the chair to the side and stalked toward him. She could kill him right here and now, but...holy hell, she was damned sexy.
 
She stopped in front of him and growled, “Let’s get something established about werewolves. There are two kinds. The lesser wolves who are made. And the Lykan who are born. I’m not one of the degenerates. I was born a Lykan in 1647. The first child of Valeriu and Elena. I’m an alpha and you are nothing more than a fledgling just hatched.”
 
He broke free of her power by drawing on his own. When he moved toward her, Austin held his hands to his side, ready to grab the special knife he had sheathed inside his jacket. His fangs had long ago descended ready for a fight. “I don’t really give a flying fuck whether you were made, born, or hatched.”
 
When the energy of her power touched him again, he pulled the knife, and the silver blade caught the dim light of the fire in the hearth when he opened the long switchblade. “I want to know if you’re the one preying on these people.”
 
Her eyes widened and she backed up a step as he approached. “I told you I didn’t attack those humans. I haven’t killed a mortal in over a hundred years. How many innocents have you snacked on tonight? How many of them did you want to kill?”
 
“I don’t hurt my prey,” he said through clenched teeth and held her icy gaze. He’d never let her know battling the beast within every feeding was the hardest thing he’d ever done.
 
After forcing himself to take a deep breath, he lowered the knife and released some of the tension zinging through his body. “If you didn’t kill those people then you have nothing to worry about. Best way to figure out who did is by working together.” He put the silver blade away, and his fangs retracted.
 
“What do you have planned?”
 
He didn’t miss the slight quiver in her voice. He should finish all this right here and now so he could get back to Ireland and whatever life he’d scraped together, but something needled him into doing a thorough investigation.
 
“We begin with you telling me everything you remember from those nights you became the big, bad wolf.”
 
Bio:
Cera duBois has a strong belief in never giving up on your dreams…
Although Cera was unable to read due to dyslexia and a learning disability until she was in the fourth grade, she always had a story to tell. She wrote her first novel in eleventh grade when she had to keep a journal for her academic English class. Since her life was far from exciting growing up as a farm girl in West Central Pennsylvania, she decided to rely on her imagination. 

 



18 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the interview. HUGE CONGRATS on your awesome year Sara!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview, ladies! And what an amazing year it's been!

    Like you, Cera, I find it easier to create the hero. Might be down to the fact that I'm still a tomboy. ;-) Oh, and I love Westerns, too.

    Good luck with your fab releases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for having me, D'Ann.

    And thank you, Christine and Cathie, for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Ladies! Heroes are way easier for me to write...must have been a man in a previous life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interview and excerpts, D'Ann and Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun interview - thanks for sharing your excerpts, Sara, the books sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Sara, your imagination certainly hasn't let you down. Both books sound like must-reads. Good stuff! (I'm intrigued too by the fact that Austin comes from Ireland :-)) GOod luck with them both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview and wonderful excerpts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful interview. Paranormal to Westerns is quite an interesting leap. Best of luck with your series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the intereview and excerpts. Good luck on your series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for coming by and all the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful excerpts.
    Congratulations, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview and excerpts. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview, ladies. And I really enjoyed the excerpts. Definitely have to check these two out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic excerpt - books sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved your interview! Both sound like great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! Why are the heroes so much easier to write I wonder?

    ReplyDelete