Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fridays with Friends...Kristina Knight


Fridays with Friends.

Pull up a chair; pour yourself a beverage of your choice. Make yourself comfortable to chat with my guest. Today I have with me my very good friend, Kristina Knight, author of The Saint's Devilish Deal.

Welcome, Kristina.

Hi, D'Ann, thank you so much for inviting me over today!




Let's get started!

 What part of your book took you most out of your comfort zone?   Esme's parents and Saint's mother. Both Saint and Esme have had to deal with mental illness in their families in one way or another and that was really hard to write, not just because they both approach it differently. I didn't want to do a disservice to the mental health community so I asked a ton of questions, did a lot of research … I'm still not positive I did that 100% 'right'.

What was the easiest part to write?  The fun, flirty bits. The adventure 'training' that Saint makes Esme begin. Those were fun scenes!

How many books have you written?  I've written six novels to date, 2 have been published, 2 more are under contract…1 will never see the light of day because it has a verra bad case of the suckage. It was my first novel and I loved it. Every minute. I still love the characters but it's a hot mess…even the thought of going back to fix it gives me heart palpitations!

How many books have you sold? Titles?  I've sold 4 books so far, two are on shelves now (What a Texas Girl Wants & The Saint's Devilish Deal) and 2 more will be out in the next few months (What a Texas Girl Needs & What a Texas Girl Dreams).

What drew you to your sub-genre?  My voice fits best in contemporary, I think. I've tried writing romantic suspense and was told it was too light, I can't write vamps or shape-shifters to save my life and my brain hurts at the thought of all the research that goes into a good historical novel. But contemporary really fits the tone of my writing, my stories and me.

Do you write more than one sub-genre? Not right now, although I adore romantic suspense and light paranormal. But my voice fits best in the Contemporary genre so that is where I'm staying for now.

Have you ever started a book, and lost interest?  All the time! Sometimes I think an idea looks better in the beginning stages than it does when you get to Chapter 6 or 8. That's when – at least for me – I find out if my characters actually have a story to tell.

Do you find writing the hero or heroine easier?  The hero is easier for me, I totally blame being raised on a farm with an older brother. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, but I find it easier to rip away the facades of heros than heroines…does that make me a traitor to my gender?

Has a secondary character ever threatened to take over your book? Have you had to give them their own book?  Yes! The sisters (you'll read more about them in the next question) from What a Texas Girl Wants would*not* leave me alone…so they're getting their own books!

I In What a Texas Girl Wants the heroine, Kathleen, has two sisters (a spoiled brat and a chameleon) those sisters are getting their own share of angst, self examination and romance. And I'm having such fun!

Thank you so much for hosting me today! I've had a ball!



The Saint's Devilish Deal is a contemporary, reunion romance. Esmerelda Quinn has been looking for a place to belong since her parents were killed in a car crash when she was young. The closest thing to home has always been Aunt Constance's villa in Puerto Vallarta, so after a string of dead-end hotellier jobs, she's coming home to run the villa.


Santiago Cruz has called the villa home for as long as he can remember. In between surfing events, Constance has always had a room for him. Color him surprised when Constance decides to retire - and leaves a joint interest in the villa to both Santiago and Esme.


Esme isn't thrilled to share ownership of the villa with the the youngest Cruz brother - especially when she learns Santiago's brother has been after the villa for years. But Santiago has grown up while she's been away at school and soon she finds herself falling for the rich boy down the hall.





22 comments:

  1. Great interview. I think you have a perfect contemporary voice, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for having me over today, D'Ann!

    Liz, that is a lovely thing to say - thank you!! I do love contemporary romance!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi D'Ann and Kristi! Enjoyed the interview and learning more about you. I also wanted to comment that I love the titles you come up with! Good luck with your books!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Christine! I love my titles - have been lucky with them!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely interview, D'Ann and Kristi. What a brilliant idea to create spin offs! Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice interview. I enjoyed my visit and plan to come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Kristina, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, ladies! I definitely think you found your voice, Kristina!! Can't wait to read this one!! Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Jennifer! This is my favorite cover (so far). :)

      Delete
  9. It's nice to know other authors have their secondary characters speaking to them, too. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they never shut up, Sheri (when I'm lucky)!

      Delete
  10. Very cute interview. Loved the blurb.

    ReplyDelete