Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fridays with Friends...Sharon Cullen





Pull up a chair; pour yourself a beverage of your choice.  Make yourself comfortable to chat with my guest. Today I have with me my friend, Sharon Cullen, author of Her Dark Knight.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Welcome, Sharon.
1.     What part of your book took you most out of your comfort zone? Writing all the stuff about the Book of Revelation. I’m Catholic and went through twelve years of parochial school but I haven’t brushed up on the bible for a few years. It took a lot of research to get it right.
2.      What was the easiest part to write? The historical scenes were the easiest. For some reason, writing historical just comes easier for me. Easier even than writing contemporary.
 
3.     How many books have you written? Oh gosh. I have no idea. Probably around 20-30 if I had to guess. That’s counting books I started but never finished for one reason or another. I did a lot of that in my early days of writing.
 
4.     How many books have you sold? Titles? I have sold thirteen books so far. Most are available for purchase, #12 will be available in February, 2013 and #13 sometime later in 2013 (the exact publication date hasn’t been determined yet). The titles include:
 
A Forever Kind of Thing (paranormal)
 
Accidental Love (contemporary)
 
Hands Off (contemporary)
The Power of Love (contemporary)
Deception (romantic suspense)
Redemption (romantic suspense)
Obsession (romantic suspense)
Night Song (paranormal)
Wherever You Are (paranormal/time travel)
Her Dark Knight (paranormal)
Christmas in Style (out of print)
The Notorious Lady Anne (on sale 2/13)
The Infamous Lord Blythe (release date TBD)
 
 
5.     What drew you to your sub-genre? This particular book is a weird sub-genre and the plot was what drew me to it. The plot demands that the story be paranormal, historical and contemporary all at the same time. LOL. Quite a mix, right?
6.     Do you write more than one sub-genre? I do. I can’t seem to help myself. I write romantic suspense, paranormal romance, contemporary romance and historical romance. My historicals are the ones that will be published in 2013.
7.     Have you ever started a book, and lost interest? Yes! Plenty of times. But that was earlier, when I first started writing. Now I can’t afford to do that because my books are contracted before they’re written so I have no choice but to write them. But when I was first learning the craft and trying to discover my voice, I started and discarded so many books. Some of them I’d still like to write.
8.     Do you find writing the hero or heroine easier? The hero, for some odd reason. I love writing heroes, love digging into their brains. I like picking men’s brains too to see how they think so I can make my heroes more realistic.
9.     Has a secondary character ever threatened to take over your book? Have you had to give them their own book? I give almost all of my secondary characters books. I write them that way on purpose so they can have their own book. I think the character that threatened to take over a story the most was Phin in The Notorious Lady Anne. I really fell in love with Phin. He’s a tough pirate in an untenable situation. He will get his book but unfortunately it won’t be for a bit yet. There are others who get their books first.
10.  What is your next project? I just sent off The Infamous Lord Blythe to my editor. That book is the one that will be released sometime in 2013. My next project is a proposal for two more historicals that are in the same series as The Notorious Lady Anne and the Infamous Lord Blythe. I’m also working on the second Templar book.
About Sharon:
  After earning a degree in journalism from Ohio University, Sharon found the stories inside her head were more interesting than what was going on in the world around her. Yet, it wasn’t until years later that she decided to pursue her secret dream of writing a romance novel. Since then she’s been published in romantic suspense, paranormal romance, contemporary romance and historical romance.
Sharon’s other job descriptions include chauffer, laundress, cook and mediator to her three very busy kids, her husband and two dogs. She lives in southwest Ohio with her brood although her dream is to someday retire to St. Maarten and live on the beach.
If you’d like to find out more about Sharon and her books, you can visit her at her blog or her website. She’s addicted to social networking so you can find her on Facebook and Twitter. Friend her! Like her! Follow her! She’d love to hang out with you and talk about her passion—books.
Book Blurb:
Madelaine Alexander is on a mission. When her boss sends her to the hottest nightclub in town to meet with the owner, she won't be deterred, even if that means standing in line for fifty-eight minutes in torturous heels while she'd rather be home in her pj's with a bowl of popcorn.
A Knight of the Templar, Christien Chevalier was given immortality along with the responsibility of protecting the treasure of the Templars. He's been unwavering in his task for centuries until his one true love—who died seven hundred years ago—shows up in his club, demanding his attention.
Christien couldn't protect Madelaine when they first fell in love. She was married to a lord and he was simply a knight. Now, through some unknown miracle, she stands before him again and they have a second chance. But Christien fears that Madelaine is being used as a pawn in a dangerous game, a game of good versus evil that could affect all of mankind...
 

16 comments:

  1. You are so busy Sharon! Congrats on all your new contracts. I am really looking forward to The Notorious Lady Anne...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating interview and blurb. Good post, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting book! Love stories of never ending love. Congratulations on all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book sounds wonderful--just the type of book I love.
    OMG, seriously, I have to read this book. I love history, using religion, and romance, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the sort of novel I love! Thanks, D'Ann, for inviting Sharon as your guest. Sharon, you're quite an accomplished author. Wishing you continued success!

    Jacqueline Seewald
    TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS, now available in all e-book formats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Sharon! I'm a fan of your books - can't wait for Templar #2 to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned more about Sharon today!! Fun post, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, ladies. I really have to check this books out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand the discomfort with the Bible research. I have the same thing with my book 3 of my Hunter's Dagger series. But mine deals with the Old Testament.

    Congrats on all of your success, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I know Sharon. Won a crit from her years ago. She's amazing and Her Dark Knight sounds wonderful.

    :)

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dana!! Thanks for the great compliment!

      Delete
  11. D'Ann, sorry I'm days late. Lovely interview. The book sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete