Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sneak Peek Sunday--A Cowboy to Keep

 
 
This week, my selection is from A Cowboy to Keep, Book One of my Cowboys of Black Mountain series.
 
 
 
 

“Please listen,” she said. “That’s not true.”

He snorted. “Sure it is. I heard you and Cody talking about—” His face flamed hot red. “—sex. I heard him say he wouldn’t do it with you, because you might get pregnant so he couldn’t rodeo anymore. Just like you did to Dad.”

Laney went hot then cold. As if she watched someone else react, her hand flew out and slapped Justin’s cheek. The crack resounded through the room like a clap of thunder. For a moment, neither moved nor spoke.

Tears came to his eyes, but he didn’t let them fall. Laney dropped her hands to her sides, mortified. She had never struck her son in his life. “Oh, Justin.”

He spun away from her. “I’m out of here.”

“Wait!” she called as he slammed the door behind him.



Keep Hopping:




18 comments:

  1. I don't know who I feel for more: the kid, who thinks he knows it all, or mom, who doesn't know how to have this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! These two will have some serious sorting out to do. Very compelling excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Yep, they need to figure this one out!

      Delete
  3. Very affecting scene. Nice job, D'Ann. Good luck with the book!
    Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great set-up for what comes next, D'Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the angst! Great peek, D'Ann!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd say this is a turning point.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that was ugly. Wait, that came out wrong. I meant to say it was painful to read...and that was worse. Give me a second, I can do this. Reading that was like discovering an old wound that has just opened up again and is still raw to the touch. Okay, that was just gross. I give up. Great snippet. Very powerful and deeply moving. I would like to say more but I think it would be best if I was lost for words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was very emotional... Great snippet, D'Ann...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crapola woman, what a scene! Very heightened emotions!

    ReplyDelete