Sunday, July 14, 2013

Showcase: Stubborn Hearts Carol Ritten Smith


Welcome to my blog! All through July, my publisher is running a 1/2 price sale on ALL titles published in our first year. Today I showcase one of my stablemates! (you knew I would use a horse term, didn't you?)
 
Please meet Carol Ritten Smith and learn about her book, Stubborn Hearts. 
 
 
 
 
 



 Book Blurb of STUBBORN HEARTS

 

Beth Patterson and her two younger brothers are hiding from the law in the small town of Whistle Creek. Beth is committed to keeping her family together and she will do anything to ensure it. Anything.

 

When her youngest brother befriends Tom Carver, the local blacksmith, Beth worries the truth will fly out of the six-year-old’s mouth faster than he can spit a watermelon seed.

 

Surprisingly, it isn't the boy who invites Tom's suspicion. It's Beth herself, the night he catches her snooping in his barn with an excuse so ridiculous it gets him wondering just what she is up to. Intrigued, he takes it upon himself to find out. But instead of unraveling their secret, Tom becomes entangled in their everyday lives.

 

Beth knows the dangers of letting her guard down and soon she faces a most crucial and heart-wrenching dilemma of her life. Is Tom's love strong enough to forgive her of her one felonious deed or will he condemn her? More importantly, dare she risk everything to find out?

 

Sensuality Level: Behind Closed Doors


 

Excerpt of STUBBORN HEARTS

 

Just a quick set up for the excerpt:  Due to circumstances which I won’t give away here, Beth is in Tom’s kitchen giving her little brother, Davy, a bath. All clean, Davy goes out to visit with Tom in the parlour. Beth longs to have a bath in the large aluminum bathtub, too, so she bars the door leading to the parlour with a chair under the doorknob, closes all the curtains and locks the outside door. Tom heads to the kitchen to get a deck of cards to play with Davy, unaware she is in his bathtub.

 

“Don’t you have the manners to knock?” she hissed, keeping a wary eye one him while willing her heart to cease its pounding.

He paused. “Knock? This may come as a shock to you, but most people don’t knock to enter a kitchen. If they do, then I’m afraid I was remiss in learning that detail.”

“Apparently you were also remiss in learning how to behave as a gentleman. If you had any morals you’d leave immediately.”

His eyebrows lifted and a smile touched his lips. “Beth, honey, it’s my morals keeping me from crawling right in there with you, that and the fact your brother is in the next room. It wouldn’t do his innocence any good to find us thrashing about in the water like a pair of otters.”

Pulse! Pulse! Pulse! A rhythm throbbed deep within her and in shockingly rapid succession. Desire tap-danced inside her. “How dare you!” she raged, looking to throw something at him.

Tom ducked as the bar of soap skimmed past his ear. Grinning, he raised his hands in submission. “Relax. I’ll just get the cards and then the kitchen is all yours. You can stay in there until you look as wrinkled as a peach pit.”

Watching her, he backed toward the cupboard and opened the drawer to get a deck of cards. “When I got up this morning I asked myself, Tom, what kind of day do think you’ll have? Never in a million years would I have guessed it would be this good.”

“You breathe a word of this to anyone and I’ll never speak to you again!”

Ignoring her threat, he retrieved the bar of soap from under the wood stove, picked out the imbedded bits of wood and tossed it into the tub, splashing her in the face. At the door he studied the chair, just then realizing its intent. Chuckling, he turned to face her. “The next time you use a chair to bar a door, make sure you know which way the door swings first.” He slid through the door into the parlour.
 

 

 

 

Carol Ritten Smith considers herself a very fortunate woman. She has a wonderful husband of nearly forty years. Her son and daughter and their families all live within a half hour’s drive. Grandchildren are readily available for hugs. And she gets to write. It doesn’t get much better than that.
 
For more great Crimson titles on sale, check out this site:
 
 

CrimsonBirthday-Sidebar-6
 

 

 



22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Liz, thank you. I'm thrilled with the cover, too.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the blurb/excerpt...and that cover is simply gorgeous! Thanks for sharing D'Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine, for you kind comments!

      Delete
  3. Love the cover and excerpt! What a wonderful sounding book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I happen to think it is a wonderful book, but as the author I may be a bit biased! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love that cover. Sounds like a great story at a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like my cover, too, Kary. IMHO it is a great story and the price doesn't get much better than this (unless it's free). Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison, for dropping by. I love my cover, too!

      Delete
  6. D'Ann, of all days to have internet problems, this is the day. I want to thank you so much for inviting me to be a guest on your blog. It has been a pleasure and I hope to spotlight you in the near future! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cover! Congratulations on your release, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Carol's novel, STUBBORN HEARTS. I highly recommend it. A wonderful adventure, set in nineteenth century western Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the promo, Deborah. I thrilled you enjoyed it! Cheers!

      Delete
  9. I seriously love your cover.
    I now have your book on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oopsie, daisy. Brenda, I meant to leave you a reply and instead I posted it. Look about and you'll find it. My bad. ;)

      Delete
  10. Brenda, it really is a great cover, isn't it! I hope when you read Stubborn Hearts you feel the entire range of emotions, from laugh out loud happiness, to a tear sliding down your cheek sadness. I guess the latter isn't the nicest thing to wish on someone. Instead I hope you find a fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete