Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nikki Lynn Barrett A Masterpiece of Love


D'Ann, thank you kindly for letting me invade...err, hang out on your blog today!

 

 



Some stories when they are written become SO much more than one imagined. For me, that story is A Masterpiece Of Our Love. The book is actually compiled of two old story ideas or scenes that popped into my mind. I had the idea of two young kids, a girl and a boy, being lost somewhere and having a bonding relationship ever since then. Originally, they were lost in the woods. I even have an opening scene written before I changed things around.

 

The other idea I had involved a swing. I had an idea of two people meeting  by a swing that might have a special meaning, and I wondered What if one of the people didn't show for awhile, and suddenly they did?

 

Those two little scenes evolved into A Masterpiece of Our Love. Becca and Hunter were Born  That scene in the woods? Well, I never actually start off the book with that scene, but it does show up in a flashback dream. And it turned into an island. Off the coast of Maine, there are thousands upon thousands of islands.  After surviving a plane crash, Becca and Hunter find a makeshift shelter on one of those islands. For five days, these two kids- eight and twelve- fight to survive. Of course, a bond forms. How could it not? Hunter became Becca's protector. They had each other when everyone else didn't make it.

 

And the swing? Well, Becca has a thing about swings. Part of it was that when she learned to walk again and had full use of her legs, she loved to swing. It's something that even in her adult life, she still finds solace with. So when they meet up on one of the islands every year, I created a little place that had a swing, and that's where their designated meeting spot was. Of course, Hunter didn't show for four years. He had some trouble in his life...and you know how some people pull away from everyone else when they seem to be drowning in hurt and pain? Yeah, that's Hunter. He doesn't mean to to it, it's just something he naturally does.

 

So four years later, he shows up and Becca's there, having her moment on the swing.

 

Boom. Two ides combined, creating a story that I still can't believe I wrote. The book has a personal touch to it, more than just me writing it.  Some of the things Becca goes through- well, I see a bit of my best friends and I in Becca.

 

The early response to this story has been amazing. I've been shedding some happy tears.  For those that have read my stories, you'll find the same emotional, funny, tender moments you've always known.  I'm so excited to be sharing this story with the world.

 

 

 Blurb: Two Lives Torn by tragedy

Eight year old Becca and twelve year old Hunter cling to each other and life after surviving a plane crash which stole their families.

Two Souls Seeking Love

Each year from the time she was old enough to travel on her own, Becca met up with Hunter on the island that altered their lives forever.

Until he stopped showing.

Her constant. Her link to the past. Gone in the blink of an eye.

Two Lives Bound by Secret

Suffering more heartbreak, Hunter returns to the one place hes always sought comfort.
The island where he and Becca met. The place that stole from him, and in the same instance gave to him. He hasn't been back or spoken to Becca in four years.

Though hes sure she must hate him for disappearing, Hunter discovers the girl gone, now a woman in her place. Hunter is determined to prove to Becca he isnt the same twelve year old boy of yesteryear.

But someone isn't happy about their reunion...

Strange things begin happening, letters showing up in their hotel rooms and at home with cryptic messages.

Two Broken Hearts Heal as One.

With the mystery unsolved, Hunter convinces Becca to spend the remainder of the summer back home with him. For safety and to give them a chance to rediscover the adults theyve now become.

Will love get a chance to blossom or will the past come back and tear the masterpiece of their love apart, once and for all?





Excerpt: Just one little push on the swing. Would it even hold her weight? Why it called to her so deeply tonight, she couldn't say. It's not like Hunter didn't know where to find her if he made his way to the island this year after all.

Becca fingered the wooden swing, careful not to press too hard. Without another hesitation, she perched on it and wiggled. So far, so good. It held her just fine. She kicked her good leg to give herself a push. Becca tilted her head back, loving the way the breeze blew through her hair. She lost herself in the movement of the swing. If only she was as young and carefree as the little girl who'd been on the swing prior. Becca envied those kids. They still had so much of their youth to look forward to.

"You and that swing. It never fails. You always have this sense of peace. Why can't I be an artist like you so I could capture the sights I see?"

She recognized that deep baritone voice. Becca whipped her head up and almost lost her grip on the side of the swing. Of all the living, breathing, beautiful faces, the last one she expected to see was Hunter Beckman's. Not after all the years he'd missed their meetings. She'd hoped, but this year she had just about given up. Was it really him, or did her imagination create an image of the man she'd longed to see so badly? There he stood, right in front of the tree. He slid her one of those beautiful grins that lit up his entire face. Becca stopped the swing and shot to her feet. He made it! Hunter was here!

"Ow!" She cried as her knee gave out beneath her. She'd pushed just a little too much. Hunter caught her and helped her back to her feet.

"I'm glad you're that happy to see me, but don't go hurting yourself on my account," he drawled, wrapping her in a bear hug. "I can't even begin to tell you how much I've missed you! I'm so sorry I haven't showed the last few years or that I haven't called," he whispered while he combed his fingers through her hair in a gentle gesture.

"You're here now." Becca threaded her fingers together around his neck. "This was going to be my last time. I needed to give it one last shot before attempting to let go." All of the fear, anger, hurt and frustration she'd carried for the past few years faded. All she wanted was to hold on to Hunter and keep him there. He was really here! The rest, she'd figure out later. Right now, she couldn't be happier to be hugging him.

"I'm so glad I caught you then. I see that others have discovered the tranquility of our meeting spot." Hunter pulled back and studied her. "You look so good! How have you been, Becca?"

He looked great for sure. Maybe a little worn out, but Hunter's appearance hadn't changed much. He'd let his dark brown hair grow a little and he had a hint of a five o'clock shadow. Otherwise, he was the same old sweet, good looking man she'd always known.

"I- I'm good." Standing so close, being held in Hunter's arms as he continued to hug her, she couldn't breathe. He overwhelmed her with his presence. He hadn't changed. He still found a way to make her heart beat faster. Something about him always gave her a sense of being safe.

He had been the one to pull her from the wreckage. Before the crash, they hadn't spoken to each other the entire ride. He'd been too busy playing a video game. She had been coloring. Funny, the bits and pieces she remembered about that night. Most of it had vanished. Only fragments of that life remained in her mind. She wished she could remember a whole lot more than she'd been given.



 


 

 


 


 


 


 

16 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is a terrific premise. I'm intrigued that someone isn't happy with their reunion. Something to do with the plane crash, i bet. Maybe there weren't supposed to be ANY survivors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe....it's a mystery. And might surprise you! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty cover! Good luck with your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! My cover fits the story, and I love the uniqueness about it :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a heartwarming story! Love the swing :) Gonna read it for sure! Beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be my most emotional yet...and I love swings! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your release Nikki! This sounds like an emotional read with some twists...great blurb and great premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! Definitely emotional...but then that's what I do lol :)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of two people who were lost and are now found again. I often wonder about people from my past and thanks to FB have been able to reconnect. Good luck on the book. It looks wonderful! Tweeted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true...it's great to connect with old friends and I love that we have that power more than ever.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a heart-tugging story, Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so :) Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. I was lost yesterday (Jess and I went searching for trails still buried in snow) but it didn't warrant a book or even a comment, now that I consider the matter. Erase from your mind everything I've said. I'm freezing and I'm hungry. I feel like a character in a Charles Dicken's novel. And upon reviewing this note, it reads like weird spam. God help me, I'm writing spam now. Maybe I should bane myself from comments until I've turned the heat up and have breakfast (It's noon, I know). I'll do that. Forget all that I've written..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a heartwarming story - added to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete